Sunday, February 17, 2008

Your Pockets Did Bleed on St. Valentines

I spent all of last week at a posh all girls school called Farnborough Hill, and in hind sight, it may be the finest finishing school in all of Britain. The school building looked like the mansion from Beauty and the Beast - the live people one from the 80's not the Disney one from the 90's - and all the girls are all forced to dress like tall leprachauns who are trying to camoflague themselves with green deck chairs.


Anyway, all the girls were all lovely and musical and polite and I would expect me to have an interesting Valentines Day story to tell after spending the dreaded V-day as one of a handful of males amongst hundredes of females. I, however, do not.

The only interesting thing to happen to me on Valentines was that I was in Tesco (think super Target) at about 7:00 on Valentines. I walk into the store to find that the entire Valentines card section is swarming with guys, most of whom appear to be on the way home from work, desperately searching for a Valentines card in the 11th hour. And while I neither gave nor received a card, all these scrambling blokes made me laugh. I realized that it sucks to have no one on Valentines day, and it kinda sucks to be with someone and have the pressure of Valentines Day, but it sucks the most to kind of have someone and decide at 7:00pm on Valentines Day that they are actually worth buying a card for and that you will get no better offers.

No comments: