Friday, January 25, 2008

Peri Peri is Portuguese for "Let's go steady."

I have met someone and her name is Nando's. Nando's is the love of my life. The love I've been waiting for. She's everything I've ever wanted with a few peri peri qualities I didn't even know existed.

You think I'd learn, but like so many times in the past I'm smitten. I have found the answer to all of my problems, this time in a Portuguese style chicken restaurant called Nando's. I've heard about Nando's from a number of young people who I come across on the average work day, but I assumed Nando's served more mediocre food that the Brits rave about (Bangers and Mash, Fish and Chips, Spotted Dick - all mediocre).

What Nando's offers is any fractional amount of a chicken divisible by 4, marinated for 24 hours in Portuguese style peri peri sauce, and served with a wide selection of side dishes. But what makes Nando's so extraordinary is that she seems to have dated and American before and learned a few things from the relationship. Mainly, Nando's offers unlimited free refills on your soda with all the ice you want. Anyone who has spent more than a day in Europe will know why this is such a rare and special treat.

On my one trip to Nando's thus far, I was in direct competition with the twelve-year-old at the table next to me to see who could suck down more Cokes. When I saw that, to the embarrassment of his mother, he was willing to eat his quarter chicken without using his hands, I knew I best withdraw from said competition, but I've never enjoyed getting second place more.

I have high hopes for my relationship with Nando's, and she's even given me the first gift of our relationship - a frequent dinners card. Clearly, she knows I'm in this for the long haul.

No comments: