Sunday, November 11, 2007

Tape of Love

I don't remember what possessed me to paint my room in the first place, but at this point I have to think that the reason my bedroom is half green and half white is because of insane customs laws in Belgium.

I was fortunate enough to spend the half-term break with my Uncle in Belgium. He works for Master Card (yet for some reason my entire extended family uses Visa) and happened to have a business trip to Brussles the same week that I had off. A few days before I leave this country I get a good number of Polish and German people drunk in my room and, as Polish and German people won't to do, we start rearranging furniture. This leads to talk of painting the room, and somehow, one day later, I am painting my room green.

When I leave for Belgium the next day my room is half-green and half-white so on my way out of Belgium I buy three rolls of masking tape at a stationary store so I can do what has been called Polish edges (clearly I have no idea how to paint a room).

Now, I fail to consider the incredible risk of me bringing such an amount of tape on an international flight, and when going through airport security all three rolls are confiscated. I can understand taking away the expensive perfume away from the girl in front of me, Ryan Air doesn't want fresh smelling airplanes, but I am a bit surprised to see my masking tape is also illegal.

At first I was upset. After all, I'd only owned this tape for 10 minutes. But as I think about it more, I think that the woman who took my tape at the security check was paying me a compliment. She looked at me and apparently thought that I was capable of hijacking an entire aircraft with only three rolls of tape. I figure it is either that, or any pilot who's plane is taken from him/her by a guy armed with masking tape would never live it down, so as to not potentially embarrass the pilot, no tape is allowed.

So enjoy your flight, but don't plan on taping anything along the way.

No comments: