Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Killing Rabbits with the Third Reich

Tongiht I ate dinner with Terry. It was a little bit awkward because I know that before dinner Terry likes to go outisde and kill blind rabbits with a shovel. It was perhaps even more awkward - perhaps - in that Terry spent part of the meal listening to the National Anthem of the Thrid Reich on his iPod. Let me explain:

I got the chance to go for a run the other day, and I ran into a rabbit. Actually, it'd probably be more accurate to say that a rabbit ran into me. On the 72 acres where I live there are loads of rabbits - loads - so seeing one is not a rare occurance. But apparently the rabbits here have developed a disease called myxmatosis which, among other things, causes them to become oddly bumpy until their eyes swell up and they go blind. It then takes the blind rabbit roughtly 13 days to starve to death and rot into a hollow, bumpy, rabbit shell.

Anyway, I began my run on a trail through the woods with a very narrow entrance, and I was not surprised to see a rabbit standing in my path. After all, there are loads of them here - loads. But I was surprised that this rabbit didn't move out of my way. I stomped the gound and yelled, "Hey, Rabbit!" in my most Terry-sounding voice until this rabbit could sense it was in danger.

The rabbit then shot off to the right about four feet and crashed head first (as head first is the only way rabbits travel) into a fallen log. Looking bumpy and confused, the rabbit then turned and, more cautiously this time, hobbled into my feet. The third time was a charm and the rabbit found it's way into wooded saftey.

As I continue my run along on the beautiful English earth, past a few hollowed, bumpy, rabbit carcases, pondering "Hollow Rabbit" as a band name, I run into Terry cleaning the blunt end of a shovel in a rain puddle. His eyes lit up when I told him the location of my furry little friend, but at dinner he relayed that he could not find it. As for Terry's music selection, I have no idea what the hell was going on there.

2 comments:

The Fab Miss B said...

is this fellow one of your students? or a fellow teacher? not sure which is more disturbing...sounds like you've encountered your first british eccentric!

Brandon Till said...

Props to Becky for reading the long post. This is a man who works with the little kids who come to the center. They are none the wiser.