Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence . . . so how's that working out for you?


Wagwan and happy 4th of July everyone. For me, this year I will not be throwing together a last minute Bar-B-Que and shouting "kablamo" as I watch fireworks. For I am in England. The very land which my forefathers declared independence from, and there are a few things I find peculiar about America's Independence Day in Britain.

First, everyone knows about the Fourth of July and seems to enjoy it as a holiday. In the past week I've been in two different London pubs who are throwing a 4th of July celebration. Now I'm no history major (actually as a Classics major maybe I am) but I thought The 4th of July marks the start of a war that Britain lost. It's like bars in the US celebrating the start of the Vietnam War - still too soon. Or maybe it's just English irony that they like to celebrate the start of the fall of the British Empire.

Second, British people seem to know what we do on The 4th of July. This is a great thing for me because I'm not entirely sure what I American's are supposed to do on the Fourth and would have a hard time explaining it. According to the British, on the Fourth of July Americans: 1.) Eat burgers - True 2.) Watch fireworks - True 3.) Buy fireworks to blow stuff up - True 4.) Drink light beer - True 5.) Sing songs about America of which there are no shortage - True (for me at least). I think that's a pretty fair assessment of The 4th of July and would only add 6.) Partake in watersports where possible.

For me this year I will be celebrating my independence from England by wearing my Uncle Sam hat while working at the Brightlights Festival - the Christian music festival that takes place where I work - and hanging out with American artist Matt Maher (who is apparently famous) and Canadian founder of L'Arche Jean Vanier (who is apparently a modern day prophet).

This reminds me of Fact About Me #62:
I’m a Christian, but I don’t like the sound of that.

1 comment:

The Fab Miss B said...

In China they also know all about American holidays, but they are charmingly full of misconceptions. Christmas time was especially mystifying since they seem to have it slightly confused with Valentine's day...