Sunday, May 25, 2008

Eurovision: Spain, Latvia, and Bosnia


Unannounced to most Americans, every year Europeans get together for what is called the Eurovision Song Contest. This contest has been around for over 50 years and has sparked such famous bands as ABBA and, well, the only one I know of is ABBA. The contest is really clever and I'm not sure why the US hasn't ripped it off with "Statevision" yet, but the way it works is every country submits a song, performs it live with lots of dancing, and then the people have 15 minutes to call in and vote for their favorite song. You can't vote for your own country so it's funny to see how everyone votes for their "friend" countries eg: Sweden votes for Norway, Portugal votes for Spain, and no one votes for France .

Last night, after a long day at an amusement park which didn't measure up to US standards but had a good kiddie ride called Mrs. Hippo's Fungle Safari, I attended my first Eurovision Party. We watched as all the countries gave their best effort which too often resembled a Celine Dion ballad, or in the case of Finland, a heavy metal song, and three countries stood out to me.

Bill Trandon's top 3 Eurovision 2008 Songs!

#3 - Bosnia Herzegovina
I have absolutely no idea what this song is about, but I like to promote this type of behavior whenever I see it.


#2 - Latvia
I think if they submitted this a year earlier to ride the popularity of Pirates of the Caribbean they would have won. And in Latvia's defense, I think that those movies are just making it over there.


#1 - Spain
Hands down, Espana had the best song of the night. It made me want to dance "el roboco."



Russia was the actual winner with a boy band reject singing a power ballad as some Russian Michael Flatley of the ice skated circles around him. But I'm off to Spain, quite literally. Next week I'll walk across the entire top of Spain on the Camino de Santiago. Hopefully I'll meet some nice Spaniards and we can talk about Chiki Chiki and how they were robbed in Eurovision. Or the crusades. Both things that Spanish people like talking about.

No comments: