Thursday, March 6, 2008

Save Ferris


I just watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the first time in many, many years, and I realized a few things. Ten things to be exact:

1. Ferris planned an excellent day out in Chicago.
I'm not sure if you could actually live Ferris's day off, but I'd like to think so. Assuming you had a Ferrari to get around in and a fiver to tip every door man, I think I could make it happen.


2. I waste most of my days off.
'nuf said.

3. Everyone thinks that they could be Ferris Bueller . . .
And to a lesser extent everyone thinks that they are Ferris Bueller regardless of the fact that they've never sang Twist and Shout in a parade celebrating German heritage in Chicago.

4. I am actually closer to Cameron as a character than I am a Ferris Bueller.
And if I'm honest with myself, I'm probably closer to Rooney than anyone else.

5. Nobody puts baby in the corner.
This was Jennifer Grey's first big movie, and I'm not sure how it made her a star. On second thought, I'm not sure many people who are not me still consider Jennifer Grey a star, but most people don't take Dirty Dancing as seriously as I do.

6. Cameron looks just like my friend Eric's younger brother Kevman (who also looks a little bit like Dave Collier when in a Red Wings Jersey).



7. If Ferris Bueller was real and he skipped a day of school, he probably would have spent more time making out with his girlfriend.
I work with high schoolers. This is how it goes.

8. There are not enough movies and TV shows where the main character speaks directly to the camera/audience.
Zach Morris and Ferris Bueller are the first two that pop into my head, and while publicly everyone says something like, "Talking into the camera is a cheep way to move the plot along and cover up for poor acting." Internally everyone thinks, "I like that."

9. Mathew Broderick's sarcophagus should be enshrined in the Smithsonian.
I know he's not dead yet - actually, I'm just assuming he's not dead yet - but he is Ferris Bueller. I mean come on! That should be enough . . . Election wasn't bad either.

10. "Ferris Bueller, you're my hero."
Leopard print just doesn't look as good on anyone else. And apparently Nike has made a shoe called the Ferris Bueller. If anyone wants to know what to get me for my birthday, I wouldn't hate these.

3 comments:

The Fab Miss B said...

As former Chicago residents Eric and I have talked (way too) extensively about whether or not Ferris' day is possible. According to Kevin Black's paper on the subject:

(which you can find here: http://komar.cs.stthomas.edu/qm425/98f/Black3.htm)

1. Ferris’ parents leave, day begins.

2. Ferris calls Cameron.

3. Ferris and Cameron trick Ed Rooney (principal).

4. Pick up car and Sloan.

5. Drive downtown.

6. Go to the top of the Sears Tower.

7. Visit the Chicago stock market.

8. Visit the Chicago Museum of Art.

9. Lunch at Chez Luis. ("Are you implying that I am not who I say that I am????")

10. Catch (at least part of) Cubs game.

11. Take part in a Parade. (the Von Stueyben Day Parade, part of Chicago's annual German American Festival)

12. Stop on the side of the road to check on Cameron.

13. Go to Sloan’s for a swim.

14. Go to Cameron’s and try to fix speedometer.

15. Walk Sloan home.

16. Run home and get in bed before parents.

Now, if the stars were perfectly aligned and you were able to figure out a way to get to all of these events to come together on the same day of the Von Stueben day parade, it would still be completely impossible to have as much fun as Ferris does. Eric and I concluded long ago that any of the activities Ferris takes part in are quite sufficient for one day, thank you very much. And for the record, whenever I skipped school we basically just sat around making pancakes and watching movies. So I guess I"m not Ferris either, which is what makes him a hero for all time.

Anonymous said...

john cusack is paid to talk to the camra, or he was back in his romantic comedy days.

jess said...

Pete talked into the camera quite often... older Pete to be exact. So far there seems to be a direct correlation between direct audience address and high levels of coolness.