Tuesday, December 11, 2007

God Save the Queen

On Friday, December 14, I'm heading home to Minnesota and I'm not coming back until January 5. That is basically three full weeks of vacation, or what the average American earns after 20 years of work for a company. Now, since September I've also had a full week off for "half-term break" and I've had two four day vacation weekends.

The beautiful thing about this three week vacation is that I'm only taking one of my actual vacation days. Since I work for the Catholic Church I get a full week off for Christmas, a bank holiday for New Years Day, and the rest of the time my work is giving back to me as days they owe me for overtime I've worked since October (I didn't track my September hours, but if I did I probably won't have to use any of my vacation for my three weeks of vacation.)

Now, beginning in March, after I've worked this job for 6 months, I'm automatically upgraded to 3 weeks of vacation. This means that I need to use my 2 weeks - minus one day - before March because they become void after that. So it looks like I may end up being the "typical American" and not using all my vacation days. I suppose I'll just have to settle for the 5 weeks of vacation I've had since starting here in September.

1 comment:

Eric Nelson said...

for the low, low price of $700 you could spend a week or two in china. that's about the same price as fish 'n' chips in london.